Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hummus for Sarah

Here is my loose recipe for hummus. I just make it, so try to be flexible with the amounts and add more or less of anything to your taste. I used to make it with tahini, but I found that I had to buy such a big jar of it and I only used it for hummus, so I just omit it. It may be lacking a bit in authenticity, but it tastes great!

Hummus
1 can chick peas
a few good glugs olive oil
1 or 2 lemons
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
a couple of good pinches of sea salt
about 1 tsp cumin
freshly ground black pepper
small handful of pinenuts, toasted, to sprinkle over

Rinse chickpeas, put in food processor. Add olive oil and juice of one lemon, crushed garlic, salt, pepper and cumin. Blitz until fairly smooth. If it seems thick add more olive oil down the tube. Taste at this point and adjust lemon and seasonings to your taste. When you are happy with the taste and consistency, scrape into a bowl and put it in the fridge. When ready to serve, drizzle a bit more olive oil over top and sprinkle toasted pinenuts over top. Serve with pita, veggies, tortilla chips, or use as a spread for sandwiches. Enjoy!




No comments: